La Quinta, CA
(760) 895-3516

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Can I Claim a Child Living in Canada or Mexico on my U.S. Federal Tax Return?

If you have a child in Canada or Mexico, they may be a qualifying relative, and you may be able to claim the child as a dependent. In the case that the child does not live with you, the child cannot be your qualifying child. Please see the requirements for qualifying child. If the other persons that the child lives with are not U.S. citizens and have no U.S. income, the child cannot be claimed by those persons as a qualifying child.

The Child can be your qualifying relative if they earn less than $3,800 gross income for the year and if you provide more than 50% of the child's total support.

**NOTE: you CANNOT claim a dependent child who lives in a foreign country other than Canada and Mexico, unless of course, that child is a U.S. citizen, U.S. resident alien, or U.S. national for some part of that year.

If you have any questions about filing income tax in the Coachella Valley, please don't hesitate to give Borders Bookkeeping a call.

Borders Bookkeeping
(760) 895-3516